By Shelly Lurie
Looking for a simple and delicious treat to make for the holidays? Try our recipe for peppermint bark – it’s two layers of rich chocolate that will satisfy any sweet tooth. It’s also the perfect dessert to bring to any holiday party and makes a great gift!
As always, our recipes are designed to use union-made ingredients – so you’re not only satisfying your taste buds, but also supporting good jobs here in the US!
Ingredients (purchase from your local unionized grocery store):
• 12 ounces Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate, chopped into ½ -inch pieces (substitute: 12 ounces of Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate chips)
• 12 ounces Ghirardelli white chocolate, chopped into ½ -inch pieces (substitute: 12 ounces of Ghirardelli white chocolate chips)
• 1 ½ tsp. Durkee peppermint imitation extract
• 3 candy canes, crushed
1. Line a 9-by-12 pan with parchment paper.
2. Melt the semisweet chocolate by placing it in a microwave-safe bowl – cook for 30 seconds, stir and repeat until the chocolate is a smooth consistency.
3. Pour the melted semisweet chocolate on the parchment paper and spread it evenly until it is about 1/3 inch thick on the pan.
4. Melt the white chocolate using the steps above. Once smooth, pour the white chocolate on top of semisweet chocolate and spread to make the two layers the same thickness.
5. While the chocolate is still warm, sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top.
6. Place the chocolate in the refrigerator and let harden for 2 hours. Then, break the candy into pieces.