Ethical Chef: Pumpkin Pie
It’s that time of year. Thanksgiving is around the corner and the family is coming to town. The smell of turkey is in the air. There’s a little cranberry sauce on the side and a big scoop of stuffing with your name on it. But remember to save room for dessert. This year Labor 411 has got an exquisite and easy pumpkin pie recipe to help you finish your Thanksgiving feast right. The best thing is all the ingredients are from unions that treat their employees well and they will be thankful you chose their products.
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (Domino)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (to add that pumpkin spice)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (Morton Salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (of your choice)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (Kroger)
- 2 large eggs (Horizon)
- 1 can pumpkin puree (15 oz) (Kroger)
- 1 can evaporated milk (12 fl. oz.) (Nestle)
- 1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) (Pillsbury)
- Whipped cream (of your choice)
MIX sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
POUR into pie shell.
BAKE in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving.