By Michael Messina
Eighty-seven years ago a man was born in Atlanta who would eventually become one of the greatest civil rights leaders this country has even seen. Martin Luther King Jr. is a cultural icon whose actions included championing the ambitions of the Labor Movement as well. In fact, at the time of his assassination he was in Memphis supporting AFSCME sanitation workers.
There has been no one of his equal since, and today we honor him. As one of the great orators, he had many memorable quotes over the years. Take a look below at just a few of his beautiful quotes.
1. “All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence.”
2. “The Labor Movement was the principal force that transformed misery and despair into hope and progress.”
3. “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
4. “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
5. “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.”
6. “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”
7. “We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.”
8. “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?’”
9. “Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
10. “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”
11. “Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend.”
12. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
Get the latest Product Spotlights, labor blogs and more with the Labor 411 enewsletter